Knowledge Is Power When Fighting Illness.
There Is An Effective, Non-CBD, Non-Psychoactive Way To Control Seizures With Cannabis. Instructions Below!
Most of us have heard, in the past few months, about the wave of “medical marijuana refugees” descending upon cannabis-friendly destinations like Colorado. Many of these refugees are families who have children suffering from Dravet syndrome and other severe forms of epilepsy and pediatric seizures, and ever since CNN correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta’s documentary, “Weed,” more and more of these parents are willing for their kids to try cannabidiol (CBD) oil.
Demand for the particular high-CBD strain, Charlotte’s Web, has gone particularly crazy since Dr. Gupta’s show aired, because it was the one mentioned by name. What many panicked parents don’t realize, upon first entering the initially bewildering world of medical cannabis, is that there are a number of other high-CBD strains as well, some with reported numbers higher than those of Charlotte’s Web.
Several state Legislatures, particularly in more conservative states such as Alabama, are also considering “CBD-only” legislation which would legalize CBD oil but leave THC illegal. This is particularly unfortunate for a number of reasons. Two of the major ones are (1) research has shown the cannabinoids, including THC and CBD, work most effectively in combination with each other, through syngergistic effects; and (2) the passage of “CBD-only” legislation serves to increase and emphasize the “scariness” and “otherness” of THC. Demonizing THC is just silly, because it’s one of the best, most non-toxic of anti-inflammatories, anti-tumor agents, antioxidants, and neuroprotectants known.
And beyond that, almost none of these parents and other patients realize they could fight seizures just as effectively with THC which hasn’t been decarboxylated with heat — that is, tetrahydrocannabinolic acid, THC acid or THCA — as they could with CBD. Furthermore, THCA is no more psychoactive than is CBD, thus allaying parental concerns about getting their children high. No psychoactive effects are experienced from THCA that hasn’t been decarboxylated to THC.
THCA is one of the cannabinoids primarily found in fresh cannabis, although in variable amounts, according to CannLabs. Once the marijuana plant is exposed to heat — such as when smoking or vaporizing cannabis — THCA decarboxylates to THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the form that gets you high. What happens on a molecular level is that the carbon dioxide in the cannabis is released, as a carbon atom in the acid gets lost, converting THCA to psychoactive THC.
THCA, found in the flowers, leaves, and stems of young cannabis plants, is biosynthesized by the trichomes. It plays a critical role in protecting the trichomes, and thus the plants themselves, from insects and other predators.
Although THCA has no psychoactive effects of its own, it acts as a cannabinoid receptor agonist, and in so doing helps in its neuroprotective (brain protection) effects. THCA has also been shown to be an anti-inflammatory agent. It has anti-proliferative qualities that help inhibit the growth of cancerous cells, as well as anti-spasmodic abilities that are useful among epileptic patients.
Since THCA works just as well as CBD for seizure control, and THCA is cheaper and more accessible than CBD (especially in the speculative environment created by CBD’s recently skyrocketing popularity), THCA means patient empowerment.
In contrast to the specialized, low-THC/high CBD plants needed to make CBD extracts, any high-THC cannabis strain can be used to make THCA tincture.
“Any high THC strain can be used,” prominent Australian cannabis breeder/researcher Mark Heinrich told Toke Signals on Monday. “As it is THCA, there is no issue of the high, so that makes strain choice less selective.
“Truly, this is universally (read globally) available to even the poorest people,” Heinrich told us. “I have sent the simple method to doctors in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and China, with more countries coming.
“We are getting good results with CBDA, CBD, THCA, and CBN,” Heinrich said. “We are doing great things in Oz, and now being with Dave Mapes has broadened our reach.
“Right now, the predators and the sharks are making a killing off CBD, but make no mistake — THCA works just as well and we have proof it does,” Heinrich said. “We want everyone to have access to the tutorials to empower them to be able to make their own and not be reliant on CBD merchants.”
What’s even better, the info is FREE, Heinrich told us. “How cool is that, mate? And think how many folks can now get help — empowerment of parents!”
THCA Tinctures for Seizures/Epilepsy:
The Simple Way
To start you will need the following.
1 ounce good fresh dried bud from any high THC strain. (1 oz)
1 Liter of rectified spirit
(95 percent alcohol)
2 x one-liter glass mason jars
1 Pyrex/glass Oblong Baking Dish 4.5L
Preparation for Extraction
1) Take 1 ounce of dried bud (preferably frangible) from any high THC-strain and crumble it all up (by hand) and place in glass mason jar. (Tip – to make buds dry enough to be frangible/brittle, lay buds on a tray and leave a cool fan blowing air directly on to it for an hour or so.
2) Place a piece of nylon stocking across the mouth of the mason jar holding the crumbled buds, and tie with a rubber band or piece of string. Place in freezer overnight.
3) Place two containers of 500 ml spirit in the freezer (or one liter – you measure out 500ml when the time comes). Freeze containers of alcohol overnight to -17 or -19 degrees Celsius or 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now, the idea is to work very quickly to do two, perhaps three, quick rinses before the buds thaw. The freezing process prevents picking up water soluble contaminants from the plant material during the rinse.
4) Pour 500 ml of the frozen spirit onto the frozen buds, slush it around for a bit. After about 90 seconds pour off the liquid through the nylon stocking, and then also through a coffee filter * (to remove small particulate matter) into the glass collection dish.
(*The second mason jar has a coffee filter secured to it, so you pour the alcohol/resin solution through the filter into the second mason jar, then pour that into the glass collection plate)
5) Fill jar again with the remaining 500 ml of alcohol, swish around again, and then pour off the liquid through the nylon stocking and then through a coffee filter into the second mason jar, and then into the glass collection dish.
Sometimes a third wash is possible before thawing so try and do the first two rinses quickly. If you do a third wash you will need additional alcohol.
What is poured into the plate is all the resin without the plant material. This contains your THCA as well as other cannabinoids.
6) The collection plate should now hold about 1 liter spirit and resins. Place a household fan near the plate and blow cool air over the plate for about 24 to 48 hours or until all of the alcohol has evaporated. There is no hurry here ok.
7) The collection plate once evaporated should have a thin film of resin sticking to the glass. It helps to have a flat razor blade or putty knife to scrape up the resin. It’s very sticky, like tar, and it’s easier to work with when very cold (you can pop it in the fridge to harden it).
One ounce should yield about 3 to 5 gms of resin. Keep this stored in the fridge to keep cool and easier to handle.
8) Weigh the resin, and put 1gm of THCA resin into a 100 ml bottle and fill with spirit. You will find the resin easier to handle if it is frozen.
9) Test your final result at a lab so you know exactly what you have. Results should show high amounts of THCA a small amount of THC (through natural decarboxylation in the drying/curing process of the buds).
10) Per Canna, “Each patient is taking roughly 2ml/day of the tincture I make. This is broken down into 4 drops 3 times daily, and 1 ml before bed. The results speak for them selves.” “One ounce of high-grade bud produces 3 to 5 grams of resin. That is enough to make 3 to 5 100-ml bottles. Each patient is only using 2ml per day, so each bottle last 50 days.”
This is NOT for sublingual use. It is designed to go down a feeding tube, or be incorporated in juice or custard, etc.
WARNING: DO NOT CEASE CONVENTIONAL AED’s WITHOUT MEDICAL SUPERVISION. IF YOU DO SO YOU CAN LIKELY EXPECT A RECURRENCE OF SEIZURES. Once you commence a THCA therapy there needs to be a period of time for the cannabinoids to fully become effective. If you wean conventional medicines too quickly the patient has high chances of seizures recurring. It is not recommended that reductions in conventional medicines be made within a month of starting a THCA treatment.
Guide To Preparing THCA Tincture Available Free of Charge
Epsilon Apothecaries, founded in 2006 and based in Sacramento, California, has announced the “Epsilon Essentials” Guide Series,” comprised of photographic guides describing some of Epsilon’s most successful research and product development, detailing extraction techniques, therapy regimens, and alternative botanical supplement creations.
Volume 1 of the Epsilon Essentials Guide Series covers a novice approach to the creation of three special supplements: tincture extract of cannabis, essential extract of cannabis, and supplemental extract of cannabis. Readers can learn how to create therapeutic grade supplements at home, following in the footsteps of Epsilon’s decade-long track record of success in a variety of cases.
“The Epsilon Essentials Guides are provided free of charge,” the company’s website tells us. “All we ask is your respect in return.”